The Squadron was first formed in 1947 with its Headquarters at the Presbyterian Church Hall, Nant Hall Road, Prestatyn. One year later a new Headquarters, at our present location, was donated by the local RAFA. The original building is now the Drill Hall.
Over the years the Squadron has flourished, and many former cadets have taken up careers in all branches of the Armed Forces. Other have carried out successful careers in civilian life.
Vast achievements of the Squadron include representing the Wing in the Sir Alan Lees Trophy in 1975, 1977, 1979, 1986, 1993 and more recently in 2015. We were also Regional Winners in 1976 and 1979, taking the runners up position (and therefore the Morris Trophy) in 1993.
In 1976, the Squadron Band was formed with a small number of borrowed instruments. Flt Lt Alan Lord took over as Director of Music in 1977 and under his leadership the Band achieved a very high standard - even performing in front of Royalty on several occasions.
Today, under the command of Flt Lt Jez Kent, the Squadron continues to grow with cadets undertaking in a full programme of activities. In recent years the Band has represented Wales & West Region at the National Competition held annually at RAF Halton. Cadets continually represent the Squadron, Wing and beyond in sports and are active members of the Wing in other respects.
The Squadron building underwent major refurbishment in 2014, modernising the premises and improving facilities. More information on the refurb can be found here.
© Crown Copyright 2017